12/21/2011 Update – Beach House closed

Well, the Beach House only lasted a little shy of 4 months.  Too bad, the bar was pretty cool, and the food not bad the two times I ate there, though I’ve heard varied opinions.  The location and building shouldn’t sit empty too long (depending on price), as it usually seemed busy.  I’m hearing they just put too much money into it, and with 70+ employees, that’s a pretty big nut to hit every month. 

My only addition for this edition is Bobbie’s in Rock Island (the old Au Jus), bringing the new total to 416.  I don’t know if they’re planning any interior renovations, but I do know that they could use some.  Rooster’s (the former 3rd & 22, east of the RI District) is now open, and Carole’s Tap has changed ownership and names – it is now Jimmie O’s.  Thanks to Maddie at Caddy’s for giving me that heads-up.  The “What’s Left” list drops to 17, however, as I found the VFW in west Davenport is members only.

Maddie at Caddy’s also has been added to my Favorite Bartenders list – she was almost there the last time I made additions, and the intel on Jimmie O’s didn’t hurt in securing the status.  Sad news, however:  Sarah at Mulligan’s is currently in ‘hiatus’.  I’m hoping to see her back there or at another tavern soon. 

As yet, I haven’t really reviewed any Quad Cities bars, except for saying which ones I probably wouldn’t go back to (actually, Carole’s Tap fell into that category, but with the change to Jimmie O’s it’s back on the “What’s Left” list).  I wanted to hit, or at least come close to hitting, all Quad Cities bars before I even thought about expressing my opinions.  I also wanted to return to a few that I liked but haven’t been to since before I started this nonsense, and a few that we’ve only been to once or twice.  Therefore, this list is fluid, but here are my current favorite bars in the Quad Cities:

It’s On The River, Port Byron

Not a large place, but a wall of glass overlooks river with a deck attached, and a dock with picnic tables right on the water.  Food is great, and though I’m sure you’ll find a Reuben far less than $10 at other places, it won’t be anywhere near this one (actually, my favorite sandwich is the Angry Russian with pastrami).  The staff has been pared down to compensate for the slow season, but still one of my favorite in the Quad Cities – both fulltime bartenders, Nate and Sandy, are on my ‘Favorites’ list.  Also, the deck is the best location to watch the fireworks during Tugfest.  

G’s Riverfront Café, Port Byron

For years, this was more known as an upscale restaurant, with the bar a (pretty humble) afterthought.  The owner has remodeled and expanded the bar and the stage, and has made the ambience much more casual, though the food is still very high-end – Steak Diane and the Mediterranean Lamb are magnificent.  The focus is on live music here, whether hired acts or walk-ons; so much so, that you won’t find a single television in the place.  Bartenders Bob and Autumn know their craft.  Like most places, I principally drink beer here, but I occasionally get a hankering for a G-String:  Coffee, Bailey’s, and Grand Marnier.  If you order it with a ‘stank’, Tullamore Dew is added.

Duck City Bistro, Davenport

Far more known as a restaurant, most people don’t come here to hang at the bar.  We do (though not as regularly as we’d like, living in Port Byron), because the appetizers are great (shrimp as big as your fist), and the bar is the center of the action.  Chefs Charles and Jeremy I believe are the greatest hosts in the Quad Cities, and Nam rocks the bar.  It’s a great place to stop to wind down after a show at the Adler.

129, Leclaire

This made it on the list despite the fact we’ve only been here three times, and it’s one of very few places that I’m comfortable not sitting at the bar.  The back half of the lounge has two walls of wine for sale, and they’ve got a pretty nice martini menu (the Oatmeal Cookie has become a guilty pleasure of mine, and my wife enjoys the Appletini).  It is also a coffee house, and I’ve already described and had them concoct an approximation of the G-String.  I haven’t gotten to know the staff well (which would  normally be required criteria to be included in this conversation), but service has been good.  I look forward to sitting in the very comfortable chairs by the window during a snowfall.

Bierstube, Davenport

I’m a Miller Lite drinker, but I’m not locked in.  I’ll drink Modelo, Sol, or Pacifico in a Mexican restaurant, and Kirin at Osaka.  At the Bierstube, it’s a couple of Schneiderweisse, plus maybe a Hacker Pschorr.  Back to the Miller Lite after that, because one Schneiderweisse equals three domestic beers, plus a shot of heroin.  While there are two other perfectly serviceable Bierstubes in Quad Cities, the location in the East Village, overlooking the river (especially cool when the sailboats are out), is a big plus.  For me, the staff has had some issues, but Tori may be the best bartender in the Quad Cities – unfortunately, she only works weekends now.  You can usually catch good entertainment on a Thursday night, and while I’m not a huge fan of the food there, they have great Escargot.  We used to come here when it was the Bow Witch, run by a lady named Kathy (who could be really ‘colorful’, especially one or two drinks before she became totally shitfaced and fired the staff), when the Escargot was $3.50.  It’s now almost ten bucks, but still the best I’ve had.

Honorable Mention:

The Oasis, Bettendorf
The Tiki Bar at Modern Woodmen Park, Davenport
The Landing, Moline
Bad Boy’z, Moline
Mulligan’s Valley Pub, Coal Valley

Oddly, these ten do not directly correlate to the bars I go to most often, which, over the last 32 month are (top 20):

It's On The River
Rick & Kathy's
Harley's
Bon Air
Governor's (Bettendorf)
G's Riverfront Café
Fargo
P. K. Dugan's
Poor Boy's
Duey's
Parkside
Paddlewheel
Yankee Doodle
Mulligan's Valley Pub
Caddy's
Rosy's Watering Hole
Bierstube Leclaire
Duck City
Bierstube Davenport
North Shore Inn

Next update, maybe I’ll post the other end of the spectrum.  Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?