3/2/2012 Update

We took a swing by the new Doc’s Inn in Silvis for some drinks and Gyros, but were met instead with disappointment!  The Feb 20th open date came and went, but it looks like, according to the owner’s latest FB post, they’re shooting for Tuesday the 6th.  I also heard (thanks, John) that the owner of Purgatory’s was opening a place soon in downtown Davenport that was going to be a café in the day and a bar at night.  Confirmation came the next day when my wife read the ad on the back of Go & Do in the QC Times for DaVinci’s Café & Cocktails, slated to open March 8th.  DaVinci’s will occupy the old MJ Chinese / Japanese restaurant, right next to Boozie’s.   While waiting for those impending additions to my list, I once again had to turn to the Mexican restaurants, and Sancho’s becomes number 425 on my list.

Once again, my “What’s Left” list stays static at 16, as DaVinci’s gets added, but Silver Spur Dance Hall comes off.  I misinterpreted the type of establishment this was – it’s actually a reception hall. 
    
My friend John read my blog for the first time, and was a little confused by the difference between “The List” and “The Roster”.  I agreed; though I had explained it a few posts back, it isn’t clear to the person reading this for the first time unless he or she searches all editions.  Therefore, I’m changing the names of my pages from “The List” to “My List”, and “The Roster” to “Bar Directory”, to cut down on confusion.  I did complete addresses for the Bar Directory, and will try to get hours next if I can ever figure them out myself.

In compiling the Bar Directory, I used slightly different rules than I do when adding bars to My List, in that I didn’t include restaurants that I thought most would not think about as a place to just stop and get a drink.  This is obviously subjective:  in the last place I lived, one of our hangouts after work was the Red Lobster, and Applebee’s did huge bar business.  I also didn’t include bowling alleys or golf courses where the lounge wasn’t a ‘destination’ lounge (like Fargo at Highland Park Bowl or the Rustic Grille & Pub, both of which offer entertainment).  I was a little torn, but for now, I did include semi-private clubs – those that charge an annual fee to belong, such as the Vikings Club, East End Club, and Friends Circle. 

Lastly, the awning is up and confirms that Bootlegger’s will indeed be the name of the new bar in the village, where the Bierstube used to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?