7/23/2012 Update: Best Dives

Additions since the last post include The Grove Tap in Long Grove, Habanero’s in Davenport (Northpark Mall), and Against The Grain Brewery and Ale House in Rock Island, which used to be Mi-Pa-Nora lampshades.  Against The Grain describes itself as a nanobrewery, and for now will only make a couple of their own at a time.  They also sell a lot of microbrews, plus the standards.
 
In my last post, besides the six I added from the post prior I also stuck Penguin’s in the Freight House complex on because I thought I had made an oversight by not including it.  I actually had been in it, but not while it was open; and the beer I had in my hand was purchased at Balls & Pucks, so I have to take that one back off the list.  However, my original count did not include Chantilly 2 (the bartender at 4Play and I were discussing the roster of bars that had occupied that building) and Little B’s in the East Village.  With those and my three latest additions, I’m up to 446.

Once again, it’s a ‘good news – bad news’ post.  Along with the opening of Against The Grain, Yeti’s announced they would be closing 7/28, citing unfavorable economic conditions for small businesses.  They always were busy on the occasions I stopped in, so it’s sort of a surprise, but maybe P. K. Dugan’s will get back some of the business they lost.

It also looks like Anna’s Village Tap in Milan may be closed, but I also noticed a little activity at what used to be Whitetails next door that could mean they’re trying to revive it.

I noticed a sign in Davenport that proclaimed the old Cheddar’s is reopening as Pepperjack’s in September, prompting my wife to say “Just another cheesy restaurant”.  She’s pretty sharp.  Another sign in the window of what was the Dragon Chef on 7th Ave. in Rock Island says that they will become Legends Sports Bar and Grill in the fall.  As long as the plan is for this year, they can go on my “What’s Left” list, which now stands at 17; the other additions are Sergeant’s in Andalusia (used to be Dooley’s), and Rascal’s Live, which I’ve determined can be counted separately from Rascal’s, in the same way I count The Arena and 2nd Ave separate from RIBCo.

DIVE BARS

While I frequent various types of bars, I find that dives are my favorite.  Dives are bars that have little going for them except people, whether the crowd, the staff, or the owners.  They typically don’t have frozen drinks (sorry, Steve Block), interesting décor, wall to wall flat screens for sports viewing, nor expansive glass walls to allow you to take in the view (because you’d normally not be too interested in the outdoor surroundings).

There are good dives and bad.  While most share what I described above, key differences are a) a good dive looks like it may smell bad, but it doesn’t;  b) a good dive looks like a fight may break out at any time, but it doesn’t;  c) a good dive may appear like you won’t be comfortable there, but you are, within moments.

During this journey, I’ve been to a number of bad dive bars, which I’ve written about before, and will list in an upcoming post.  These are my favorite dives in the Quad Cities area (alphabetically):

Top Ten:
Bon Air
Moline
Harley's
Moline
Jeno's Little Hungary
Davenport
Kavanaugh's Hilltop Tavern
Rock Island
O'Keefe's
Moline
Quarter Til
Rock Island
Rick and Kathy's
Silvis
Rock Island Boat Club
Rock Island
Rosy's Watering Hole
Moline
Village Pub
Milan
Honorable Mention:
Monkey's Riverdale Pub (before 5pm)
Bettendorf
Polish Pub
Rock Island
Tommy's
Moline

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?