9/11/2012 Update: Bar Food

Though I managed to hit nine new places in Florida, Wisconsin, and Michigan, I only have two more Quad Cities additions since the last post, bringing me up to 452.

In Davenport, Stickman’s apparently reopened last month, with a remodel and under new management (same guy is also running Lumpy’s and McButt’s).  Since I never got to this place before it closed a couple years back, I’m not sure what the remodel entailed, but it seems presentable enough now. 

The Quad City Family Entertainment Center in Moline also opened around the end of August.  It includes a bowling alley that has 24 lanes, plus 8 ‘boutique’ lanes (which means couches instead of tables and chairs), a large video game area, laser tag and two bars:  one by the lanes (which will make the list eventually), and Frankie’s, which will be a really nice sports bar when the put in the 10 flat screens that are conspicuously missing.  The huge downside of Frankie’s is the $3.75 (actually it’s 3.50 PLUS tax) price for a domestic bottle.

I thought I was going to add another when I went to Mantra, an Indian restaurant that is in what used to be Scatterkat’s, but despite the full name (Mantra Indian Cuisine and Spirits) there was no bar to be found.

Since I wasn’t aware Stickman’s was open again, my What’s Left list is reduced by one to 15.

I neglected to mention in the last post that Ruby Tuesday’s is now closed; unfortunate, but another opportunity for an entrepreneur to add to the bar inventory in the Quad cities.  Still looks like something going on at what was Whitetails in Milan; this may bear further investigation.  Habanero’s is now open at what was the Beach House in Bettendorf, and Legend’s Corner Sports Bar has started some expansion construction; looks to be about three months away from opening.

While the majority of bars serve food, it’s not typically a draw for me; I’m pretty much there to drink, though I might end up eating along the way.  There are a handful of places that have a menu item or two where I’ll suggest “Let’s go there to eat that”.  The list below contains what I consider bar food, which consists of appetizers, sandwiches/burgers, and pizza, so even though I’d rave to anyone that would listen about the rockfish at Duck City Bistro, and the lamb and Steak Diane at G’s Riverfront Café, they won’t be found on this list.  Again, the list is in alphabetical order:

TOP TEN BAR FOOD:
Bad Boy'z, Moline
Pepperoni, Onion, Mushroom Pizza
Bierstube, Moline
Escargot
Boozie's, Davenport
Boozie's Burger
Crust, Bettendorf
Cheese Curds
Duck City Bistro, Davenport
Shrimp Cocktail
Duey's, Port Byron
Cheeseburger
It's On The River, Port Byron
Angry Russian
Meat Market, Davenport
Corned Beef Sandwich
Poor Boys, Rock Island
Three Cheese, Pepperoni, Onion Pizza
Sneaky Pete's, Leclaire
Buffalo Burger
Honorable Mention:
Buffalo Wild Wings, Davenport
Jerk Boneless Wings
Governor's Bettendorf
Cheese Fries
The Doc's Inn, Silvis
Hillbilly Sushi

By the way, if you’re looking to have a drink or two and graze on appetizers, my recommendations are Duck City Bistro, the Star Bar at Le Figaro, Thunder Bay Grill, and the Woodfire Grill.

A little detail on some of the places and menu items listed:

I know shrimp cocktail might sound a little mundane to make it on to a list like this, but when you see the size of these shrimp, you’ll understand.  Combine that with the hospitality and the atmosphere Chefs Charles and Jeremy and Hall of Fame bartender Nam create at Duck City, and this becomes one of my favorite Quad Cities experiences.

I’ve got two pizzas on the list, but the addition of the pepperjack cheese at Poor Boys gives it a slight edge over Bad Boy’z.

Speaking of mundane, cheese curds?  $9 cheese curds at that?  The raspberry jalapeno sauce is what get’s it on this list.

Escargot is not your typical bar food, but I believe this was the only dish that survived when the Bow Witch became the Bierstube in the East Village.  Back then, it was $3.75, and the best I’d ever had.  Though it’s closer to ten bucks now, it’s still worth it.  My concern is that the Davenport location is gone, and the Leclaire location has taken it off their menu (up until recently, it could still be ordered there, but the last two times I tried, I was disappointed).  I can’t remember if it’s still on the menu at Moline, but I had it last time I was there, on St. Patrick’s Day.  Rebitzers, please don’t take my escargot away!
 
In case you were wondering, the Angry Russian consists of the a huge pile of the best pastrami to be found in the Quad Cities, with swiss, cole slaw, and Russian dressing.  It just nosed out the massive Reuben they also serve.

On a personal note, the men and women in uniform are the reason I have the freedom to pursue such trivial endeavors as this blog.  Many are currently in action due to the events of 11 years ago today, and I thank them all and wish them God speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

6/1/2016 Update: