06/24/2013 Update:

Club Privileged opened May 17th in Davenport, in what was Club Fusion.  Though it’s in the Rainbow District, nothing obvious gave me any idea of the orientation of this place, which is a long bar that takes a sharp right into a dance… club?  room?  Though most of the lights were off, it looked a little claustrophobic.  What was intriguing was the rooftop deck – not sure if that’s open yet, but it was raining the day my wife and I stopped in. anyway.

Thai Basils in Silvis is the latest iteration (and second Thai restaurant) of what was the Pauper’s Den when we first moved here, and most recently Yeti’s.  When Thai Garden took over from Pauper’s Den, they removed half of the bar and hid another significant portion, which Yeti’s opened up again.  My concern this time was that the bar would disappear entirely, but they actually improved it by dressing it up and separating it from the dining room.  Food’s pretty good too.

The addition of those two bring my total to 489.

I did stop by Hall Of Fame Pizza & Wings, but when I saw they (unlike Thai Basils) had dismantled most of the bar (what remained was the checkout counter), I did a quick pirouette and was gone.  While I believe they have a beer/wine license, I was correct not to put them on the What’s Left list without some vetting. 

Speaking of the What’s Left list, the pub at Ski Snowstar (not sure if it has its own name) gets added.  I don’t know why it took so long to occur to me that this is a ski lodge, so it probably has a bar.  I really don’t ski anymore, but that certainly won’t prevent me from adding it to my totals once the ski season starts again.

The new Barrel House location in Moline is still not open yet (though they now are hiring), but I’ve been told the owner says it will definitely open within two weeks (actually, Hall Of Fame bartender Mary told me that a week before this post; also said the owner told her they were looking to possibly open a third, maybe in Silvis).

Symposium is becoming Red Lantern, an upscale Chinese restaurant.  Looking forward to that, as this area is overrun with Chinese buffets and carry out joints, but near as I can tell Fortune Garden was the only Chinese restaurant you could actually sit down and order off a menu.  There was a nice lounge area in Symposium that I’m obviously hoping they keep.  I’m assuming they will, so they and Snowstar bring my What’s Left list to 11.

Our semi-regular stop on bowling nights, P. K. Dugan’s, had a fire that will apparently keep it closed throughout the rest of the summer.  I don’t know the extent of the damage, but they might want to learn what they can from Sneaky Pete’s – they seem to have a fire every two to three years, and are back open in days or hours.

With what has recently opened and what is on the horizon, downtown Moline has solidified into the downtown bar capital of the Quad Cities.  In the area bounded by 13th and 17th streets, and from the river to 7th Avenue (roughly a sixteen square block area), there are 24 bars, clubs, or restaurants that are on my list with two more on the way, and another four restaurants that don’t serve adult beverages.  Compare that to Davenport, with 19 in the approximately 21 square blocks (defined by Scott and Iowa streets east to west, and 4th to River north to south), plus seven restaurants not on my list, none of which (possible exception of Mantra – I couldn’t find it, but I’m told they do) have a bar.  Rock Island has 22 in a comparable area, but 18 of those are within about a 9 square block area. 

Overheard at the Red Ginger in Bettendorf:  They’re either moving to, or opening another location at, the closed Ruby Tuesday building.

Finally, welcome to my favorite bartender list, Jonah at Blu Shamrock and Jeff at Bleyart's Tap!

Bars since the May 23 post (* - new to my list):


It's On The River
* Thai Basils
Duey's
The Doc's Inn
Clint's
Fargo
Carlos O'Kelley's
* Kyle's (Thomson, IL)
Poopy's (Savanna, IL)
* Heirloom Café (Thomson, IL)
Biaggi's
Sultan
Bootlegger's
Bleyart's
Red Ginger
Chopper's
G's Riverfront Café
Blue Iguana
129
Pub 1848
Bon Air
* La Belle Vie (Aledo, IL)
Clubhouse, The
Blu Shamrock
* Club Privileged
Harley's
Mound Street Landing
Red Lobster
Harrington's

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?