07/17/2013 Update: 10, 9, 8 …The countdown is on (again)!

For this post, I’ve added Wide River Winery in Leclaire, Red Lantern in Davenport, and The Edge In Rapid City to the list, bringing the new total to 492.  As it was when I neared 300 and 400, anticipation (at least mine) is building!

Though we’d been to Wide River before, it required a second visit before I could put it on the list.  Basically an outlet for the actual winery in Clinton, it consists of the shop with two tasting bars and a patio to the side, where they have some pretty good music from 5-8 on Fridays.  The first visit we were early enough to get a seat on the patio, but last Friday we had to sit inside at the bar until some room opened up.  While that wasn’t our preference, my rules enabled me to add it to the list. 

As I mentioned last post, Red Lantern is a more upscale Chinese restaurant than I think the Quad Cities area is used to, and opened July 1st in what until recently was Symposium, off 53rd St near Utica Ridge.  While they did dump the sunken lounge area in favor of more seating for dining, the bar is intact.

We saw new windows going in to the Bridgeview in Rapid City a month or so ago, but just assumed they were dressing the place up a bit.  It wasn’t until a friend posted the new name (now adorning the top quarter of the existing Bridgeview sign) that we found out there was new ownership and a new name, The Edge.  As we pass by the place minimum of twice a day, it was an easy addition.

The Barrel House’s Moline location opened Friday, July 12 (a little later than was predicted), and my guess is this will become bar #493 on my next post.  I normally would have already stopped in, but I’ll need something to write on my next post.  I also haven’t heard if it will add the street number at the end and go by “Barrel House 1321”. In other bar news:

The owner of the Parkside has work well underway on the new Riverside Bar & Grill, which will move into the vacant Kitchen Consultants showroom in the Rivers Edge mall on State St. in Bettendorf.  I’m guessing this will give Sports Fans some local competition on football weekends.  With Red Lantern deducted and Riverside added on, my “What’s Left” list stays at 11.

Tiddley Tap’s final day was July 15, closing to make room for the bridge that they may start working on within the next six or seven years.  Though we hadn’t been there much lately, it used to be a hangout of ours for Friday night karaoke, and I’ll be sad to see it destroyed.  Progress.

Another addition to my favorite bartender list:  Ashley at Clint’s Pizza, and former bar manager at Carlos O’Kelley’s, makes after a couple of years of dealing with the bowlers in the summer leagues (she doesn’t just work summer, but it seems like that’s the only time my wife and I stop in). 

Here’s something random - Colorful names of bars in the Quad Cities:

Red Ginger, Red Lantern, Redstone Room, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Red Crow Grille, Whitehorse, Blue Cat, Blue Iguana, Blu Shamrock, Blueport Junction, Greenbriar, M. D. Green’s, Blackwatch Room, Black Ram, Blackhawk Bowl and Martini Lounge, Black Bear Lounge, Little Brown Jug.

Though the main focus of this blog had been adding to my list of the total number of bars I’ve visited, I still find time to return to many of them.  Each post I will add a list of bars I’ve been to since the last post, both in the Quad Cities and out of town, and will append some of my more recent posts.  Why?  Makes the post longer and more impressive looking, and I’m starting to run out of ideas.

Bars since the June 24 Post (* - new to my list):


The Doc's Inn
Clint's
Fargo
Carlos O'Kelley's
Duey's
G's Riverfront Café
129
Go Fish
* The Edge
Purgatory's Pub
It's On The River
River House
Rick and Kathy's
Blueport Junction
Governor's - Bettendorf
Blu Shamrock
* Red Lantern
Blue Iguana
The Oasis
The Boat House
Biaggi's
Bier Stube Moline
* Wide River Winery
Bad Boy'z Pizza - Davenport
Red Ginger 
The Grotto
Belgrade

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?