11/14/2013 Update: Island time!

So far in November, there have been two new places open in the Quad Cities.  Barley & Rye opened Nov 1 across from the Barrel House in Moline.  They stress local, ‘farm to table’ ingredients, and I was impressed with the duck sandwich I had.  While it’s definitely still more of a restaurant than bar, it does have an impressive back bar and 8 stools, so it goes in my directory. 

Me & Billy Kitchen and Bar opened at the corner of 3rd and Main in Davenport on the 11th, and I stopped in the next day.  I’m not quite sure what to make of this place:  they have a pretty sophisticated menu (and I did like the food), but the staff is wearing checkerboard shirts, putting out a Petticoat Junction vibe that conjures visions of squirrel and cornbread for lunch.  They have a beautiful old back bar that apparently was crafted in the 1890’s in Dubuque, but apart from an American flag and one big wall painted with green and white horizontal stripes, they have no other décor (besides two walls of massive windows looking out on Main and 3rd Streets).  It makes such a vast space as they have look unfinished (which very well may be the case – it was only two days after opening).  I’ll have to check back in a month or so.   

With those two added, my list is now at 503.

Also newly opened is 100 Montaditos in Davenport on Utica Ridge.  Thought someone might have been paying attention when I said that (besides tiki bars and a true Irish bar) the Quad Cities needed a tapas bar.  This place serves tiny Spanish sandwiches and appetizers (sandwiches range from $1.00 to $2.50, appetizer trays for $9.00), and has a beer and wine selection.  I liked the food and the place; alas, no physical bar, so I can’t add it to my list.

More bar news:

Shenanigan’s has reopened under new ownership – apparently the former owner of Malarkey’s in the Rock Island District.  That also makes me wonder about Malarkey’s status.  The District has taken a hit lately with Del’s In The District, The Warehouse, and now 4Play closing (sort of bummed about that one, it’s the only one of the three I’ve been to more than once in the last 5 years).  With Shenanigan’s, I can’t go there and count it again – it would have required a name change in addition to change of ownership.

Riverside Grille has put their sign up, with an enigmatic “Opening Soon” banner.  Last photos I saw make me think it won’t open until after Thanksgiving.  Damn, I was hoping I could catch some college football there before the end of the season – it’s sister bar, Parkside Grille, is one of the places we go frequently for football.  Progression towards the opening of Rudy’s Cantina in the Village still moves along at a glacial pace, but maybe there’ll be some action at the Plaza Pub at Bass Street Landing in Moline as skating season start up again December 1.  

They’re starting to make snow at Snowstar, so an early December trip to Andalusia should knock one more off my What’s Left list, which currently sits at 10.

I never took P. K. Dugan’s in Silvis off my Bar Directory, though I didn’t know what their intention was after their fire back in June.  My wife told me she saw in the paper that they were hiring again.  Good to hear.

I’ve also heard that 5th Ave in Moline can expect a couple more new places – one planned for the west end of the area by the new Barrel House, and a pizza place going in where Wide Open vacated on the corner of 15th St.  Bartenders make my job so much easier, because they usually know what's going on.

With the current openings and closings, my Bar Directory now contains exactly 154 from each side of the river.

Key West

For the third year in a row, we were fortunate enough to spend the first week of November in Key West, home of some my favorite bars in the world!  I was able to add a few that I hadn’t yet been to, such as Irish Kevin’s, Turtle Kraals, The Afterdeck at Louie’s Backyard, Virgilio’s, and Blue Heaven, while returning to old standby’s.  And since posting photos wears me out less than typing …


Blue Heaven



Willie T's



Turtle Kraals



 Green Parrot


Tattoos & Scars



Smallest Bar


My absolute favorite Key West bars include:

Captain Tony’s

The original Key West bar was the first location of Sloppy Joe’s (until the landlord decided to raise rent so they had a late night moving party to the location Sloppy Joe’s occupies now), Captain Tony’s partly sits on top of the graveyard where they buried the criminals they hung.  In fact, the hanging tree still grows through the middle of the bar.  Bar stools are adorned with the name of celebrities that sat there; this time around, I sat on Bob Dylan.  You won’t find a Jimmy Buffett bar stool – they kept getting swiped so they’re not going to make any more.  They also have a skeleton of a convict behind the bar, dug up when Captain Tony’s expanded.

Captain Tony's



Captain Tony's

The Chart Room

There is controversy as to whether it was here or Captain Tony’s that Jimmy Buffett first played at in Key West.  The most plausible story I’ve heard was that he played first at the Chart Room for the free hot dogs, but Captain Tony’s was the first to pay him ($5 plus free beer).  This nondescript cinderblock shed is now surrounded by the Pier House resort, and were forbidden from knocking it down when they built the hotel.  A unique feature:  cremains from some of the regulars (with colorful nicknames like Whistlepants and Panamah Peat) occupy drill holes in the bar.  There are many more spots drilled, but the hotel owners (Jacobs family, for which the Cleveland Indians stadium is named) refuse to allow any more ashes except for two, whose bronze name plaques are already affixed to the bar in front of their final resting places.


Chart Room



Chart Room

Schooner Wharf

My absolute favorite way to spend an afternoon!  To me, it’s the ultimate bar experience:  The yachts and tall ships like the Western Union in the marina ten yards from your seat, Michael McCloud (somewhat sleepily these days) playing music on their stage, Bloody Mary’s, beer, and oysters, all under the Key West sun.

Schooner Wharf




Schooner Wharf



Schooner Wharf

Bars since the October 18 post ( * - new to my list):


The Doc's Inn
Big Shots
Front Street Tap Room
Rick & Kathy's
* Me & Billy
129
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Applebee's (Elmore)
It's On The River
The Edge
* Barley & Rye
Virgilio's (Key West)
Mojito Bar (Key West)
Captain Tony's (Key West)
Turtle Kraals (Key West)
Blue Heaven (Key West)
McConnell's Irish Pub (Key West)
Margaritaville (Key West)
Willie T's (Key West)
Schooner Wharf (Key West)
Conch Republic (Key West)
Muse (Key West)
Kelly's Caribbean (Key West)
The Chart Room (Key West)
Lazy Gecko (Key West)
Sun Sun Pool Bar (Key West)
Island Dogs (Key West)
Hog's Breath (Key West)
Sloppy Joe's (Key West)
Tattoos & Scars (Key West)
Irish Kevin's (Key West)
Cowboy Bill's
Louie's Afterdeck (Key West)
Green Iguana (Tampa Airport)
Jazz Bar (O'hare)
Fargo
Pint's
Red Ginger
Blu Shamrock
G's Riverfront Café
Biaggi's
O'Keefe's
Barrel House
Bad Boy'z Pizza
Backwater Jack's
Pub 1848
Harley's

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?