12/19/2013 Update: Merry Christmas

I have often mentioned that when I just needed to add a number to my total, I’d find myself a Rudy’s location I hadn’t been to that had a bar I could belly up to, have a beer, and chalk it up.  Well, Rudy’s Cantina opened on 11/27 and I stopped in 12/3, and have to say they did a beautiful job on the place, and made it an actual destination.  Gorgeous bar, lower level overlooking the park and river, and a second story balcony with tables and access to a roof deck that I’m sure will be a popular hangout in the summer.  Took the wife and met friends there to see the fireworks during Christmas in the Village.

Apparently Parkers in East Moline became Sideways more than a month ago, and I missed it (thanks go to Mike Koester for bringing me up to speed).  It had been a while since we’d been in Parkers, but seemed to me that the name was the biggest (if not only) change.

These two additions bring my new total to 505, but I’m hoping to hit three more prior to the end of the year, which will make December a pretty big month for this guy. 

What I thought was going to be the Plaza Pub, located in the Kone parking structure alongside Center Ice in the Bass Street Landing, was scheduled to open on 12/7 (as their website still states) as the Steelhead Tavern.  As of the 18th, it looked ready to go.  My guess is maybe this weekend.

I noted on my last post that 4Play in the Rock Island District closed.  It turned out to be a brief interim, as it is now a new dance club called Rumors.  The place doesn’t open until 9:00 pm, so I’m sure it will be a long term member of my What’s Left list.

I also remarked in my last post: “Shenanigan’s has reopened under new ownership – apparently the former owner of Malarkey’s in the Rock Island District.  That also makes me wonder about Malarkey’s status”.  That status is: Malarkey’s is closed, but will soon become The Smoking Dog Pub.  I found out about that when McClellan Stockade invited me to like the Smoking Dog FB page, so it appears that someone in the Stockade family has an interest in this.  Lately, I’m starting to see more bar owners/owner’s families with multiple bars, which I think is good:  if they’re successful enough to have the bank to open a second or third bar, chances are what made them successful will carry over to the new place.

By hitting Rudy’s Cantina and Sideways, I had whittled the What’s Left list briefly down 9 (been a very long time since it was in single digits), but the additions of Rumors and The Smoking Dog Pub bring it right back to 11.
.
Other bar news:

P. K. Dugan’s reopened on 12/8 after reconstruction from their fire, and they did a real nice job updating the place.  Also have a new and more expensive menu, but there is a definite improvement.

Bon Air is sold as of 12/31, and I’m not sure of the future of the building – their neighbor a couple doors down, Bridgeway Auto Parts, is who bought the building and land.  Bridgeway also owns Hollar’s building, so it’s a tossup as to whether they’ll lease out the business or knock down the building.

Ski season is here, and Snowstar opened on the 12/7, so expect their bar (not even sure what it’s called) to be on this blog soon.

I still don’t know of a projected opening date for Riverside, but the “Now Hiring” banners are up.

Not directly bar related, but Little Rangoon is The Slice, which may have been what the bartender at Big Shots was talking about (see last post).

The recently closed Wide Open is now surrounded by plywood and going through some renovation.  I'm told this place may also have a focus on pizza.

When I said that there were 154 one each side of the river, for some reason my total did not include the three in Cordova, so Illinois actually had 157; 158 now that Rumors is open and I added the Star Bar at Le Figaro (which should have been on all along), but got rid of the Camel’s Nest, which I’m not sure ever belonged.  I’m also confused about Del’s In The District;  one September post that mentioned them on Facebook said they closed (and the bar hasn’t had a post since about that time), but to outward appearances, at least during the day, nothing looks different.  Feel free to comment if you know what’s up with them.  

My favorite things to do in Quad Cities bars

People go to bars to watch a game, meet a friend, hear a band, or (in my case), just because it’s there.  There are certain things that aren’t necessarily related to a specific day or time, however, that I can almost always count on as a great experience.  Here are seven of my favorite things to do in Quad Cities Bars:

 - Wednesday Open Mic night at Bleyart’s Tap.  First, you have host Dave Ellis, a great player and entertainer.  My wife and I have been fans of his, whether solo or with Dave Stanbro as the Fry Daddies, for 15 years.  Then, on any given Wednesday, you can have a parade of some of the best musicians in the area:  Pat Foley, Detroit Larry Davidson, John Born, members of Just Chords, John Korn, and Rich Wilcox, to name a few.  

- Sitting at the corner table by the window at 129, having a coffee with Grand Marnier and Baileys or an Oatmeal Cookie martini while it’s snowing, even though I normally prefer being up at the bar (especially here, where they have the most comfortable bar stools in the QCA).

- Having a half Cherry Ale / half Vanilla Porter at Front Street Tap Room at the Freight House, overlooking the Mississippi, Leclaire Park, Modern Woodmen Park, the Centennial Bridge, and Rock Island (which looks much better from a distance).

- Being up at the bar at Duck City Bistro eating their monster shrimp (among other appetizers) with a Sapphire and Tonic.  HOF bartender Nam and chef Jeremy (and Charles, when he’s in town) make this place unsurpassed in hospitality.

- Up until a couple years ago, it was sitting at the bar at the Bier Stube in the Village of East Davenport on a Sunday afternoon when the sailboats are on the Mississippi, eating escargot and having a Schneiderweisse.  It’s now Bootleggers so the escargot and Schneiderweisse are gone, but the view is still there.    

- After having lamb or Steak Diane at G’s Riverfront Café in Port Byron, settling up at the bar to watch the great musicians and singers taking turns, including owner Dave Killinger and his uncanny versions of Gordon Lightfoot songs.

- Watching the fireworks during the Tugfest on the patio at It’s On The River.   It’s a bonus if there’s a band on the dock.

Lastly, December was a month where we lost some good people in the bar business, and I wanted to remember them in this post.  Here’s to Steve Wilson (bartender at Hafner’s), Gayla Killinger (co-owner of G’s Riverfront Café), and John Wright (co-owner of Harley’s Tavern).  You will all be missed, but you’ll always be remembered!

Merry Christmas!

Bars since the November 14 post ( * - new to my list):


Fargo
Pub 1848
Rick and Kathy's
Crust
Osaka (Davenport)
Valley Inn
Johnny's Italian
Bier Stube (Moline)
Big Shots
The Edge
It's On The River
Harley's
P. K. Dugan's
Jimmie Lee's
Purgatory's Pub
Bleyart's
* Rudy's Cantina
Paddlewheel
Red Ginger
Pepperjack's
The Clubhouse
G's Riverfront Café
129
* Sideways
The Doc's Inn
Duck City Bistro
Biaggi's
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Caddy's
Carlos O'Kelley's
Bon Air
Bad Boy'z Pizza (Davenport)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?