1/16/2014 Update:

At long last, the Riverside Grille has opened in Bettendorf, but pretty much too late for college football season.  They opened the Monday before Christmas, and I was in having lunch and a beer a half hour later (hope I didn’t look desperate after originally hearing they would be open around Labor Day).  After seeing the place, I still expect it will put a dent in Sports Fans business – nice size bar, 19 flat screens, good food, even a fireplace.  Only thing odd about it is the layout, doesn’t have much of a flow – a lot of wide openness toward the front.  That won’t bother us; we’ll take our customary seats at the bar.

The Smoking Dog Pub opened December 28th in the district of Rock Island, in what until recently was Malarkey’s.  I’d only been in Malarkey’s once (about 4 years ago) and can’t really visualize what it was like, but I’m pretty sure I like this one better.  They added a stage so it’s not necessarily just DJ dance music.  Unusual for the district, they open at 5:00 pm.

As I forecast, the Snowstar Lodge Pub (now I know the actual name) was added to my list a couple weeks after the ski season opened.

After some consideration, I also added the South Hall at Highland Park Bowl.  Yeah, it’s not generally open to the public, but it’s a permanent bar with stools, so it fits my rules (see The Premise).  Plus the bartender when I’m there is usually Beth, who’s one my Favorite Bartender list.

The tally is now up to 509, with still pretty good prospects for January.  The Steel Head Tavern (I think Steel Head should have been one word like it is on the website) next to Center Ice in Moline has their hours painted on the door, but I’m still not sure if it’s open.  What does appear to be open is the new location of the Last Chance Lounge, near the corner of 7th Avenue and 17th Street in Rock Island (previously Club 572 and Rexie’s Gourmet House), and the Platinum Club, in the building the Last Chance vacated – though I still can’t trust their posted hours.  Gone by there a couple of times on Wednesday close to 6:00 pm and they were closed, even though the sign on the building says they open at 5:00.  Also, Volkan is the new name of Club Privileged in the Rainbow District of Davenport (prior to that, it was Club Fusion).

A couple of casualties since my last post include Lucky Shamrock in Rock Island, and Bobbie’s (not sure if that is Milan or Rock Island).  I liked Lucky Shamrock; I won’t miss Bobbie’s.  I’m not sure of the status of Goombazz, subject of a recent Restaurant Impossible makeover – friend of my wife told her it wasn’t open last Sunday.  Until I can confirm, it stays in the bar directory.

So with Snowstar, Riverside, and the Smoking Dog coming off, and Brick, Last Chance, and Volkan added, my What’s Left list stays static at 11.

Other bar news: 

Bon Air in Moline closed 12/31, but will reopen as a bar in a couple months after the new lessees of the building bring it up to code.

Wide Open in downtown Moline will become a Pizza Pub in the style of Crust, and will be called Brick (if memory serves – I probably need to reconfirm that).  In fact, the same person that opened Crust (he’s sold his share) will be partners in the business, at least initially.  Also glad to see that my favorite bartender from the Blue Iguana, McKenzie, will be involved.   
-        
-        I was going to update some Top 10 lists in this post, but still catching up from the holidays.  Catch you next time.

Bars since the November 14 post ( * - new to my list):


Rick and Kathy's
Carlos O'Kelley's
Duey's
G's Riverfront Café
129
Bad Boy'z Pizza
The Doc's Inn
Governor's (Moline)
It's On The River
Caddy's
Biaggi's
* Smoking Dog Pub
Blu Shamrock
Fargo
P. K. Dugan's
Harley's
The Edge
Hey Bryan's
Headquarters
Crabby's
Svithiod Club
Pub 1848
* Riverside Grill
Bon Air
* Snowstar Lodge Pub
Duck City Bistro
South Hall

Comments

  1. Goombazz is still open, but they are not open on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?