3/13/2014 Update: Upscale Bars

Additions for this post: 

I didn’t have Speakeasy on my What’s Left list, as I wasn’t quite sure what it was – didn’t know if they had a portable or fixed bar, or even if they fetched drinks from Circa 21 next door.  After a group of us went to a Saturday night burlesque show, I’m happy to say it qualifies.  I also finally got to Tappa’s Steak House, which retains the bar from the old Sports Page days (and has a fine filet mignon sandwich).

With the addition of Azteca 2 and their four stool bar, I’ve now got all Aztecas, Los Agaves, and Habaneros on my list (plus I eliminated the Rudy’s in Coal Valley as they do not have a bar).  My availability of Mexican restaurant desperation adds are drawing down.

Those pushed up my total to 515, but even after all this time I get fleeting moments of clarity about the last 17 years I’ve spent in the Quad Cities and remember something that should have been on the list from the start – in this case, Alma Tapas and Spirits, which time-wise was in between Rock Island Rapids and the current Mama Compton’s in the Rock Island district, and Copia Martini and Wine Bar (now Icons).  It wasn’t that I forgot Copia existed;  it was the fact that I’d forgotten having a drink there when my wife and I went to Alma, then walked down the connecting hallway.  She was the one that reminded me that we did in fact have a drink there.

That boosts my total to 517.  Long way to 600, but maybe I’ll start doing the Lumosity regularly and bring to light some other hidden bar memories.  Another thing that may help clarify the past for me might be to go to the… I don’t know, County Clerk offices for Scott and Rock Island counties?  Somewhere has to have a history of DBA’s at certain addresses.  I can’t help but feel I’ve missed some in the RI District and the Village of East Davenport.

Other bar news:

- After a redesign, menu makeover, and being on national TV on Food Network’s Restaurant Impossible, Goombazz closed anyhow.  Turns out the lag time between the filming and the airing of the show (approximately two months) is being partially blamed by the owner.  I hadn’t been back since the show was filmed, but I really liked it before, and will miss it.

- Also closing since the last post was Pepperjack’s (also immediately following a remodel), and Carlos O’Kelley’s Moline location.  That one hurts because we were regulars there, and we preferred their version of Mexican food over the bland ‘authentic’ food found more commonly in the Quad Cities.

- Work has started again, however, on the old Davenport location of Carlos O’Kelley’s, but no idea what’s coming.  Brick (previously Wide Open) has almost completed their outdoor renovation, but still in the dark as to a projected opening date.  I did find out that the Lucky Shamrock in Rock Island (purchased by the owner of Jammerz, among others) will be going back to the name Augie’s on 20th.  They’ve already missed their goal of opening by March 1; I’m sure they’re hopeful to be open for the St. Patrick’s day parade.

- Two strong rumors:  first, the owners of the Bier Stubes are seriously talking about a country bar named “Broken Saddle” for downtown Moline.  Secondly, since the Barrel House failed to acquire the space they had targeted in Silvis for a third location, they’ve turned their attention to LeClaire, in particular the old Iowa Welcome Center.  I personally know someone who envisioned opening a craft beer emporium there, so Barrel House may be facing competition for that location as well.

Since I now have a name for it, Augie’s on 20th gets added to my “What’s Left” list, which is back in double digits at 10 now.  Tried a couple more runs at the Platinum Club, whose outside signage still indicates they open at 5 on Wednesday, plus tried the Last Chance, which is supposed to be open at 6 on Thursdays.

I mentioned last post that I’m closing in on hitting 400 QC Bars within 5 years.  With my three new additions and knocking 3 more off my “Pre-List” list with revisits to Larry Bob’s Oasis, The Dugout, and Bennigan’s (the remaining Rock Island location), I’m sitting at 394 with about 6 weeks to go.  Would have had one more, but I picked the week that The Hat was remodeling for an attempted lunch visit.

UPSCALE BARS

Like I did with dive bars last post, I’ve updated my top ten upscale bar list.  To remind my readers, upscale bars differentiate themselves from dive bars in the following manner:

In the rest rooms, they do not have the endless looping linen towel.  They do, typically, have stall doors.  You have hot water, and don’t have to hold the knob to continue to receive it.

They do not have bar stools that come from Quad City Bar and Stool in Silvis.  Not that there’s anything wrong with these stools, there as well made as anything I’ve ever parked my ass on, and I own six at my basement bar, The Palms Bar (they’re a little different in that we explored the rainbow a little bit when we ordered them – see below).

They have drinks that call for more than two ingredients.

Electronic dart boards are rare in an upscale bar.

And mainly, the surroundings, whether indoors or out, contribute to the experience.  They are part of the reason you go.  You go to a dive bar for the people, both the staff and the regulars. The surroundings mean very little.

Top Ten:

129
LeClaire
Pub 1848
Moline
Duck City Bistro
Davenport
Steel Head Tavern
Moline
Barrel House
Moline
G's Riverfront Café
Port Byron
Rudy's Cantina
Davenport
Front Street Brewery Tap Room
Davenport
The Doc's Inn
Silvis
It's On The River  
Port Byron
Honorable Mention:
Governor's
Bettendorf
The Grape Life
Davenport
Captain's Table
Moline
The Phoenix
Davenport
Pint's
Davenport

Lots of turnover in this update, but by no means did any on my previous list get thrown off because I felt they went downhill – just to many good new ones since my last list, including Pub 1848, Steel Head Tavern, the Moline Barrel House, and Rudy’s Cantina.  I also elevated the Front Street Brewery’s Freight House location and The Phoenix.  Growth in this area mandated I added a couple extra Honorable Mention spots, but I probably could have made this a top twenty list.


The Palms Bar

Bars since the February 7 post ( * - new to my list):

Bennigan's
The Dugout
The Doc's Inn
Fargo
G's Riverfront Café
Jimmie Lee's
Muddy Waters
Osaka (Dav.)
It's On The River
Smoking Dog Pub
Paddlewheel
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Biaggi's
Rick and Kathy's
Applebee's (Moline)
129
Steel Head Tavern
Yankee Doodle
Rosy's Watering Hole
Larry Bob's Oasis
Harley's
Carlos O'Kelley's (Mol.)
Icons
* Speakeasy
Blue Cat
Funky Desi
P. K. Dugan's
* Azteca 2
* Tappa's Steak House
Duey's
Parkside Grill


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?