1/4/2015 Update: 2015!

R Bar has opened on Utica Ridge in Davenport, and has already made my Top Ten upscale bars.  One of my favorite bars in the region is 129, and I saw a lot of similarities (129 is owned by the ex-wife of R Bar’s owner), including wine racks and cracked glass lighting.  They've got nice use of barnwood in the alcove behind bar and the entryway, and a small patio with cool fireplace.  The focal point is what used to be a humidor (this used to be a Baker Brothers cigar store), and is now the wine room, but I think having this enclosed space takes away valuable real estate from the bar.

I was taking a run by the old Bon Air in Moline to see what progress was being made on their remodel, when I found Deep Pockets by surprise.  This place gives a much nicer choice for shooting pool on the Illinois side than Leisure Time with 11 tables, including a front table designed for championship matches.  They have a nice long bar with 3 or 4 flat screens, so you don’t have to be a pool or darts player to enjoy the place.  The sign proclaiming “Billiards – Booze – Darts – Pizza” is a little misleading – they only have Butches Pizza.

Salute on 7th in Moline was purchased by longtime favorite bartender Patti, formerly of Rosy’s Watering Hole, and renamed Bottoms Up.  I had only been in Salute once, but had been in Cheers way back when we first moved to the area.  This is a lot cleaner and nicer, and I can see this moving up to my Top Ten Dives list.

Finally, and taking my new total to 542, is Toucan’s in Milan, which was most recently Skinny Legs.  Disregarding my own rules, when they changed their name, I merely changed it on my list.  The rule is a name change means I can count it again, but an ownership change without a name change, such as recent examples Duey’s or Rusty Nail.   So, I added it back on.

Other Bar News:

·         Speaking of the Rusty Nail, it is currently closed, reportedly by the IRS.
·         Against The Grain in Rock Island has changed its name to Radicle Effect Beerwerks, in an agreement with a bar of the same name, in Louisville apparently.  The name change makes it eligible for me to go again and add to my list.  
·         Stooges in Orion is now Sidetracked Saloon.
·         The latest info I have is that LeClaire location of the Barrel House probably won’t be open until September.
·         I did find out that a pancake house is going in where the Bon Air was.
·         I confirmed Platinum Club is closed, so it comes off my What’s Left list.  Adding Radicle Effects Beerwerks and Sidetracked Saloon brings the list to 12.

I’ve updated a few of my top ten lists recently, and created a new page that contains them here.  I’ll be adding others, but for now I’ve got my top 10 dives, worst 10 dives, top 10 upscale bars, top 10 sports bars, and top 10 patios/decks.  Top 10 Bar Food should be next.

Another minor milestone:  I hit 300 new bars (by that I mean bars that I’ve been to for the first time since I started tracking this on 5-1-2009) when I hit Deep Pockets – I didn’t know it at the time, but I had been to 241 bars before I started keeping track.

Finally, additions to my Favorite Bartenders include Kirsten at 129, and Mike at River House.  Also,I have decided to include owners on this list, so I’m also adding Rick at Rick & Kathy’s, and Ashley at Pub 1848.  

Bars since the Nov 19 post ( * - new to my list):

RiverBottom ChopHouse
River House
Applebee's (Elmore)
129
Faithful Pilot
J Bar, The
Parkside Grill
* Bottoms Up
Red Ginger
Rick and Kathy's
Clint's
Fargo
P. K. Dugan's
Riverview Roadhouse
Bad Boy'z Pizza
Wide River Winery (Clinton)
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Harley's
Biaggi's
Steel Head Tavern
Mulligan's Valley Pub
Village Pub
* R Bar
Bass Street Chop Bar
Duck City Bistro
Field House, The
The Doc's Inn
Rusty Nail
* Deep Pockets
Crust
Valley Inn
Buffalo Wild Wings (Mol)
Bierstube Leclaire
Grumpy's Saloon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?