8/12/2015 Update:

Barrel House opened its third restaurant / bar on Utica Ridge in Davenport, in what was 100 Montaditos.  No extensive remodeling from the miniature Spanish sandwich place that it had been, except to lengthen the bar (which was really just the cash register before), and open up the unused space on the south side.  The result is more like the original in downtown Davenport than the one in Moline with its expansive bar. 

I knew Muddy Waters in Bettendorf had been sold some months back, but it took until July for them to change the name to Harley Corin’s.  Since that was the only change that I could see, I wondered why it had taken them so long.  It was explained to me that in changing the name, they wanted to step back from being known solely as a blues bar.  I asked who was scheduled to play in the near future:  Mercury Brothers, Avey Brothers, Zac Harris.  I guess there will be a transition time.

Welcome back to a familiar name in Davenport!  The Starting Line reopened just in time for Bixfest.  The bar had been reconfigured when it was Brady Street Pub into totally separate bar and restaurant sections (the original Starting Line was more open, with a centralized bar and a lot of brass rails), and for now, just the bar section is open as they work on remodeling the restaurant.  That’s not to say the kitchen isn’t open – they have a Bix themed menu that includes the “Battle Up Brady”, consisting of 4 quarter pound burger patties on a brioche bun, topped with chili, fried eggs, bacon mac & cheese, and Money Balls (hash browns, bacon, green onion, and cheddar).  One of the new owners said he also has some interest in getting the bar in the basement (last known as Below Brady) rolling again.

In LeClaire, Green Tree Brewery’s official opening was August 7th, but my wife and I were fortunate to be invited to their soft opening on the 4th.  The brewpub had 6 beers ready to go (my favorite was the coffee stout, but the consensus at my table was the blonde).  Beautiful brick and glass interior with an ample bar, and a great deck overlooking the Mississippi.

So with 4 additions (3 on the day they opened), my count goes to 562.  I also got to hit some places I’d never been to in Cedar Rapids and Indianapolis, including the Slippery Noodle Inn, the oldest bar in the state of Indiana.

The downside to adding 14 places in my last three posts, including 9 that are actually new, is that I see lean times ahead for the rest of the year.  To make a serious run at 600, I’ve got to hit the Hy-Vees, Rudy’s, and golf courses.

Other bar news:

·        Gunchie’s in Rock Island has their sign up, and the target date for opening is Aug 28th (thanks, Michele & Willy!).

·         In my last post, I wrote about a pinball themed bar that I thought was opening around downtown Moline.  It will actually be in downtown Davenport (and thank you, Roberta!) at the corner of 3rd and Brady as the Analog Arcade Bar, sometime in the fall.
  
·         Pulse Nightclub in East Moline became Rodeo Nite Club, and will take the place of Pulse on my What’s Left List (now standing at 11), which took the place of Cantina Las Cuates before it.

·         Godfather Bar & Grille had a sign up at what once was Joe’s Club (W 7th and Fairmont, Davenport), but the sign is now gone, leaving me to wonder if it ever actually had opened.

·         Frick’s in Davenport is closed, but I’m told it’s remodeling and will reopen.

·         The first time I went in Bella Sofia Pizza in Silvis, I didn’t see the bar they had apparently hidden in the back corner. Armed with this knowledge, I decided to go back – then found out it had closed.

Bars since the Apr 15 post ( * - new to my list):

129
Go Fish
Pub 1848
RiverBottom ChopHouse
R Bar
* Barrel House - Davenport
* Green Tree Brewery
Hawkeye Tap
Blue Iguana
Jimmie Lee's
Waterbar
* Starting Line
TGI Friday's Moline
J Bar, The
* 350 First (Cedar Rapids)
* Parlor City Pub (Cedar Rapids)
* Dublin City Pub (Cedar Rapids)
* La Cantina (Cedar Rapids)
* White Star Ale House (Cedar Rapids)
* Harley Corin's
Rookies
River House
Rudy's Cantina
Lindsay Park Yacht Club
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Bad Boy'z Pizza - Davenport
Moe's Burgers & Brews
Icons
Red Ginger
Red Lantern
Harrington's
Steel Head Tavern
Grumpy's Saloon
Bleyart's
Bennigan's
* Ike & Jonesy's (Indianapolis)
* McCormick & Schmick's (Indianapolis)
* Ram Brewery (Indianapolis)
* Scotty's Brewhouse (Indianapolis)
* Claddagh's (Indianapolis)
* Slippery Noodle Inn (Indianapolis)
Harley's
Sports Fans
Biaggi's
Schu's
Legends Corner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?