6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

Added to my list for this update:  Jimbo’s Knucklehead Saloon in East Moline; Shogun, Front Street Brewery (Freight House location), and Connections, all in Davenport;  the Rock Island location of The Grape Life; and Crust, in Bettendorf.  The 6 bars added to my list represent the most since April 2011, when I knocked 13 down, and would have taken my count to 441, but for some reason I had the Freight House location of the old Funny Bone listed, but not Penguin’s.  Adding that, I’m now at  442.  Only four were on my What’s Left list, and I added the Barrel House in Moline (see below) and the Grove Tap in Long Grove, which I wasn’t previously aware of.  The What’s Left list goes to 14, and may go up further depending on what I decide about including Orion, Reynolds, and Blue Grass in what I define as the Quad Cities Area.  

Jimbo’s Knucklehead Saloon is the latest iteration of what was Hollywood Dave’s, which then became Brucer’s Dawg House.  Having been to the former DBA’s once each, I’m not sure if the white paint on the walls is the only difference, but what remains the same is it’s unfortunate location across from the East Moline police station.

Shogun is obviously not a destination ‘bar’, having three stools on the counter next to the cash register, but I bellied up and had a Kirin with my tuna, so it counts.

The Freight House version of Front Street Brewery doesn’t offer food like the original River Drive location, at least not yet.  Essentially, they moved all brewing facilities here, so when you sit at the bar, you look at vats.  They’re shiny and new, but they’re vats.  Whirl around in your stool, though, and you’ve got a great view of the Mississippi, Rock Island, Modern Woodmen Field, and the Centennial Bridge.  I’m a Miller Lite drinker, but I’ll be adventurous when I’m in a brew pub (or Mexican, Asian, or German restaurant).  Cherry Ale seemed to be the most popular choice, and Vanilla Porter was the Brewmaster’s Special.  I took their website’s advice and mixed the two, and got something that reminded me of a Guinness in Ireland (considerably different than in America) mixed with a little Black Currant – in Ireland, they do that for folk (okay, primarily for women, but I tried it that way) that don’t like the Guinness straight up.

Connections, like the Top Shelf Lounge, is another “Don’t judge a book by its cover” type joint.  From the outside, it just doesn’t look like somewhere you would want to enter (even if you’re gay).  Inside is far better than what the façade would have led you to believe, but it’s the totally hidden patio that’s the big surprise, complete with palm trees, rented from the same guy my wife and I rent from.

The Grape Life’s Rock Island location has probably less floor space devoted to retail than the Davenport location, plus they have a nice but tiny patio that occasionally will offer entertainment.

Crust is a stone oven Neapolitan pizzeria with upscale pricing – actually, pizzas are all around $16, which probably is not out of line, but $9 cheese curds?  They were fantastic, however.  I also noticed a piece of something or other / marshmallow pie for $12.  Bar is nice, but wouldn’t call it a destination (yet) like Bad Boy’z.  

Other Bar news: 

-          As I mentioned above, the Barrel House announced they would be opening a new location in Moline at 1321 5th Ave, opening late summer or (more likely) early fall.

-          Sadly, The Pub is closed after only 8 months or so after opening in the old Lonestar Steakhouse / Route 61 Bar and Grill.  Too bad it didn’t pan out, as the owners closed Uptown Bar & Grill in Bettendorf so they could concentrate their efforts here.

I was incorrect when I said I thought Destiney was maybe the only bartender that waited on us in five different places.  We’ve been waited on by Hall of Fame bartender Mary at Starting Line, Jack’s Place, Parkside, Biaggi’s, and O’Keefe’s, and she now also works at Crust (though not there when I visited).

Come on, entrepreneurs!  I need more inventory to get to 500!  Currently empty bars in the Quad Cities include:  Cabana’s, Kai’s, Dyce’s, River Oaks, Stickman’s, 811 Lockdown, Club Fusion, Balls and Puck / Penguins, The Beach House, Uptown, The Pub, Fox and Hound, Carlos O’Kelley’s, and Cheddars.

Comments

  1. The Peppermill is opening this Fall in the old Cheddars location on East Kimberly in Davenport. Los Jarritos, I've been told, is back open at 1231 - 5th Ave in Moline Centre. Also, Mantra is opening soon in the old Scattercats location on Harrison in downtown Davenport.
    --- Rick Martin
    www.quadcitiesdiningguide.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw just yesterday that Cheddar's was becoming Pepperjack's, slated to open in September. Los Jarrito's is open again, and when it was Cafe Fresh there was a bar in it, so I'll be stopping by. I also noticed the Dragon Chef in Rock Island on 7th Ave. is becoming Legends Sports Bar sometime in the fall.

      Thanks for the heads up, Rick!

      Delete
  2. Spartan's Pub is now open at 2025 Hickory Grove Rd, Davenport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rick!. My information had it at a completely different location. I'll check it out real soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

6/1/2016 Update: