11/2/2015 Update:

My wife and I went in to the Market Café at the Hy-Vee in Davenport (Utica Ridge and 53rd Ave.) not expecting it to look any different than the one in Rock Island, but it actually looked more like a bar, and an upscale bar at that, with a nice sandstone (I think) back bar.  That is where the difference ends.  Your still sitting with Hy-Vee employees whose shift just finished, just beyond the produce section.

Hemispheres Bistro opened in what had been the Red Crow Grille in Bettendorf.  Most of the remodeling looks like it was in the bar area, giving it a little more separation from the dining room.  While being a high end setting, it’s not cold, and would have been very welcoming if the staff wouldn’t have had their laptops and papers spread out over it.

Analog Arcade Bar in Davenport may be the most unique bar that’s opened in the Quad Cities in years.  As advertised, it’s packed with pinball, vintage video games such as Asteroids, and even skee-ball.  It’s definitely designed for playing, though, as seating is very limited.  Nice bar in the center, but only 12 or so bar stools.  There are two alcove areas – one in the vault (it used to be a bank), and one with what looked like a selection of board games and a big dining room table.  I’d certainly go back, but I can’t imagine my wife would find it very appealing.  I hope there is a future for a bar that may not necessarily be a magnet for women (hope that doesn’t sound too sexist).

New total:  570.

In other bar news:

·         I’ve known for a few months that there was going to be a bar opening at 53rd and Northwest Blvd. in NW Davenport.  I now have a target time frame for opening (late fall) and a name:  Public House. 


·         The owners of the new Green Tree Brewery in LeClaire are supplying the new BrewHouse in the I-Wireless Center.  Since it’s only open during events, it looks like I’ll need to take in a Mallards game.

·         Purely by accident, I found out RJ’s Pub & Grille opened in Sherrard, across from The Office.  With BrewHouse and Public House, it gets added to my What’s Left list, which is back up to 9.

·         Happy to have Cabana’s back open in Rock Island after being closed for four years.  It re-opened on Oct 16 and it took me five days before I could make it there.  Unfortunately, since new owners stuck with the same name, I can’t re-add it to my list.

·         P. K. Dugan’s apparently has sold to owner of Hey Brian’s, and will be renamed.

·         El Patron in the Rock Island District has move down the block to what was most recently Del’s In The District.  Other District news is that someone took on the rather ambitious task of reopening The Warehouse, which apparently needs a new roof.

·         On the downside, Bud’s Skyline Inn in Moline and Mama Compton’s in Rock Island (which I only recently was informed possessed craft beer, so I could have counted it had I visited) have closed.

·         Finally, Brandee at the R Bar is the latest addition to my Favorite Bartenders list, which now includes their entire staff!

Back next month with bar news from the Florida Keys!

Bars since the Aug 22 post ( * - new to my list):


Biaggi's
Governor's (Bettendorf)
129
Blue Cat
* Analog Arcade Bar
Red Ginger
Bleyart's
Ubriaco's Trattoria
Harley's
Fargo
* Hemispheres
Grape Life
South Hall
Sports Fans
Cabana's
Doc's Inn
Riley's Roadhouse
Riverview Saloon (Bellevue, IA)
* Sandy Hook Tavern (Hazel Green, WI)
* Lot One (Dubuque, IA)
RiverBottom Chophouse
R Bar
River House
Yankee Doodle
* Market Café (53rd Ave)
Barrel House - Davenport
Los Agaves - Brady
Duck City Bistro
Steel Head Tavern
Parkside Grill
Pint's
Osaka (Dav.)
Los Agaves - Avenue
Duey's
Green Tree Brewery
Sam's Take Time
Clint's Draft House
Bottoms Up
North Shore Inn
Bierstube LeClaire
Gunchie's - RI
Governor's (Moline)
P. K. Dugan's

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?