1/8/2016 Update: 7 for the New Year.

Central Standard Burgers, Beer, & Such is now open in Bettendorf, in an area surrounding the corner of 18t St. and 53r Ave., which is becoming dominated by Mark Romer establishments (he also owns Crust and Hemispheres).  I was chided for having a pastrami sandwich on my first visit, son on my next stop I got the Blue Burger, which was delicious.  As far as the bar goes, one unique feature is the back bar is along the window.  Okay, it’s just a view of a parking lot (and the patio when summer comes), and on a bright day it makes it difficult to see the 24 craft beer taps, but I like it.  Besides the 24 tap beers (including a nice Apricot Hefeweizen), there are 30+ more bottles craft beers.

Red Angus Bar & Grill in Silvis is the new name of P. K. Dugan’s, which was purchased by the owner of Hey Bryan’s in East Moline.  We stopped in just before Thanksgiving, but at that time there were no changes except the sign was down, but yet to be replaced.  They even had the same staff, including the Dugans.  The new big electronic sign is now up, I’m led to understand that the cook is the only remaining carry-over from the staff, and they’ve changed the menu to include steaks.  I’ll update this when we get back, as it’s usually a regular Tuesday evening stop on the way to bowling.

RJ’s Pub & Grill in Sherrard had been open since mid-summer, but I only became aware of it just prior to my last post.  Apparently the pizza place that was there previously had a huge kitchen, because paring it back doubled the bar area.  We were also pleasantly surprised to find that this has become a hangout for some of the old Bon Air patrons, so our visit there changed from a planned one-and-done to a three hour stay.  A lot of that also had to do with Ronnie, the owner and a great host.

Zeke’s On The Hill replaced the short-lived Harrison Street Pub, and also became the two-hundredth bar I’ve been to in Davenport.  Two differences:  the Caribbean / Hawaiian menu from Zeke’s Island Café, and they’re open until 9 (oddly, Harrison St. was only open until 5).

The second Happy Joe’s PizzaGrille opened in The Mills, the multi-purpose riverfront building on the Western Illinois campus in Moline.  This one feels more like an actual bar than the first one that opened on Locust in Davenport, with more flat screens and an industrial décor.  There’s also a nice river view from the somewhat oddly configured bar (sort of sideways W shaped), looking out past the Philadelphia Belle.  Unlike the one in Davenport, I can see myself coming bacl and hanging out a while.

GiLanella’s Pizza, which for years was strictly carry-out, doubled the bar population in Rapids City by opening a dining room with a surprisingly nice bar, though they seem to be still working on systems and procedures (as having 15-20 patrons on a Saturday night made the poor lone waitress / bartender a little frantic, plus they had no Miller Lite), but I’m sure that will come.

From this post, Public House is my favorite new bar (and the only one I’ve been to twice).  Location, while not particularly convenient for me living in Port Byron, makes it the only upscale bar in northwest Davenport.  Like Central Standard, they have a great beer selection, including a Watermelon Wheat that I hadn’t had since summer.  Cool surroundings, with a stainless steel bar with a multi-colored wood front, and wall to wall flat screens.  The unforced friendliness of the staff is what really makes this place stand out, and, like Ashley at Pub 1848, it seems to be an attribute of Pint’s alumni (where Johnna and Austin, who was my bartender on my last visit, came from).  I’m looking forward to bringing my wife next time I do a Friday afternoon hop.
     
The addition of these seven brings my new total to 577.

In other bar news:

  • About a month ago, I noticed a banner on the patio railing while passing by the Valley Inn in Pleasant Valley that Zeke’s had taken over their kitchen.  I just learned that wasn’t very popular with the regulars, and Valley Inn closed three days later (I’m sure there were other factors).
  • I haven’t mentioned this place since April, but work is progressing on the bar across the courtyard from The River House in Moline, and I’ve been told it belongs to the owner of The Office in Davenport.  No name yet (please… not Office II), so it can’t go on my What’s Left list, currently standing at 8.
  • Shenanigan’s in downtown Davenport has finally closed, meaning the people that grab the window seats at Kilkenny’s will have to watch ‘Cops’ at home.  The Black Ram restaurant in Rock Island, and along with it The Grotto, has also closed.
  • Red Rodeo (last known as the Warehouse in the Rock Island District) opened New Year’s Eve.  I had been told there was a tremendous amount of work necessary before they’d be able to get it open, but that was either overstated, or they’ve been working on it longer than I realized.

A couple post’s ago, I tried to figure up the net gain or loss in number of bars in Davenport (which , of course, has already changed since September), with plans on doing the entire Quad Cities.  I’ll get into details in an upcoming post, but here’s what I come up with for the variance in number of bars in May, 2009, versus today:

New
Closed
Net
Davenport
24
11
13
Bettendorf
6
9
-3
LeClaire
6
0
6
Eldridge
2
1
1
Princeton
0
1
-1
Donahue
1
0
1
Iowa
39
22
17
Moline
16
11
5
Rock Island
11
7
4
East Moline
0
5
-5
Port Byron
0
2
-2
Silvis
1
1
0
Milan
1
2
-1
Andalusia
0
1
-1
Hampton
0
1
-1
Rapids City
1
0
1
Sherrard
1
0
1
Illinois
31
30
1
Total
70
52
18






I meant to also post some pics of our November trip to Key West, but I’ll double up next time with photos from St Maarten as well.  Since I haven’t posted for over 2 months, this next list is a little longer than usual.

Bars since the Nov 2 post ( * - new to my list):

* Public House
Rudy's Cantina
Cabana's
Pub 1848
Governor's (Bettendorf)
Fargo
* Central Standard
RiverBottom ChopHouse
Ubriaco's Trattoria
Blue Cat
Blue Iguana
Green Tree Brewery
* GiLanella's Pizza
Applebee's (Saginaw, MI)
* G's Pizzeria (Saginaw, MI)
* Happy Joe's PizzaGrille (Moline)
Steve's Old Time Tap
Smoking Dog Pub
Bennigan's
Great River Brewery
129
Duck City Bistro
Osaka (Dav.)
Red Ginger
Old Chicago
Red Lantern
Barrel House - Davenport
R Bar
Brix
Rick and Kathy's
Riley's Roadhouse
* PerXactly's Bar & Grill (Maquoketa, IA)
Lot One (Dubuque, IA)
* Eichman's Bar (Sageville, IA)
North Shore Inn
* Zeke's On The Hill
Biaggi's
Los Agaves - Avenue
Red Lobster
Moe's Burgers & Brews
Village Pub
* RJ's Pub & Grill
Riverside Grille
Parkside Grill
Sports Fans
* Red Angus
Woodfire Grill
Harley's
Gunchie's - RI
Johnny's Italian
Duey's
Captain Tony's (Key West, FL)
Schooner Wharf (Key West, FL)
Conch Republic (Key West, FL)
Margaritaville (Key West, FL)
Sun Sun Pool Bar (Key West, FL)
Louie's Afterdeck (Key West, FL)
Tattoos & Scars (Key West, FL)
* Rusty Anchor (Key West, FL)
* Hogfish Bar & Grill (Key West, FL)
Hog's Breath Saloon (Key West, FL)
Chart Room (Key West, FL)
* Agave (Key West, FL)
Willie T's (Key West, FL)
* La Trattoria (Key West, FL)
* Boondocks (Ramrod Key, FL)
* Breezer's (Key Largo, FL)
* TGI Fridays (Dallas Airport)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?