7/6/2011 Update

The place I mentioned a couple posts back in Leclaire is now open as the Blue Iguana, a Mexican place owned by the same people that own Steventon’s.  Besides the Blue Iguana, I was only able to add 2 others since the last post:  El Mariachi in Moline, and Red Robin in Davenport.  I’m up to 396, but still not knocking any of my “What’s Left” list, which still stands at 11, with two not open yet.  

Most of the bars I haven’t got to yet do not open until later in the day, which is why I’m not getting the list reduced as quickly as I hoped.  Even though I won’t be adding to my total at the same rate, I’ve decided to concentrate more on this list, as I don’t want #400 to be another Mexican restaurant (don’t get me wrong, I like Mexican food, but I’ve been using them as a crutch to pad my numbers).

·         Looks like someone is taking another run at opening the building that has been home to Beaver’s East, Trader’s, Phitz’ Phast Lane, Open Range, and most recently Pizza Express.  Tough to figure why this location doesn’t ever seem to be successful, although I hear the rent’s pretty high.  Nice building, good outdoor area including another bar, fairly high traffic, parking’s okay – I don’t get it. 

·         I noticed they painted the entrance of Rubikon, so I guess that they’re still planning on opening.  Beach House in Bettendorf has still got construction going on, but they’ve got the “Now Hiring” sign up.

·         I heard a rumor that a bar is going in to the old Malcolm Jewelers location on 5th Ave in Moline, which is where the University Club Piano Bar awning is now.  I do see the building is no longer for sale.

While I haven’t made much headway on my list, I did get to a few places I hadn’t been since before I started tracking my numbers – River House, Purgatory's Pub, Valley Inn, Crabby’s and Cabana’s.  As I mentioned, my biggest problem right now in hitting the remainder of the QC Bars are their hours, as I usually hit the new places early, and am comfortably ensconced in one of my regular bars by the time the ones I haven’t been to yet open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?