2/17/2012 Update – Catching up


Seems like months since I did my last update (it was actually three weeks ago), but that’s partially due to a lack of activity, and partially due to 5 days in Las Vegas.  I’ll need a big push, plus some more available destinations, to get to my goal of 450 by April 30th. 
I thought Joe’s Club on 7th and Fillmore in Davenport had closed, until I saw it advertised in the Go section in the Times, with State Senator / Veterinarian Joe Seng entertaining with his piano and accordion.  Took a recon drive-by at lunch Wednesday, and saw it absolutely was open again.  I figured I’d stop in after work, but found it was closed at – turns out they’re only open for lunch, and Friday nights.  So then I though I’d finally knock Connections off my list, but their door was locked, too (even though they advertise opening at 5 and there seemed to be plenty of staff inside).  I really have to figure out the hours for the bars on my ‘What’s Left’ list.  I did make it back to Joe’s the next day during lunch, so I managed to get to 423.  422 was Los Agaves on Utica Ridge in Davenport – I can always count on a Mexican restaurant when I need to add to my total.  So, the What’s Left list stays at 16 , since Joe’s Club hadn’t been on that list since I thought it closed over a year ago.
This wasn’t the first time I’ve had problems knowing when places are open.  Stickman’s says it’s open at , but my wife and I stopped at on a Friday and it was dark – I’m really not even sure if it’s still open at all.  I’ve tried to go to the Top Shelf Lounge a couple times as well with no luck, but recently found out they open at , Thursday through Sunday (thanks, Laurie).     
Other news: 
-From my “Pre-List” list (bars that I haven’t been to since I started tracking this in May 2009), I knocked off Grumpy’s Saloon, the Star Bar at Le Figaro, Phil & Larry’s, Carriage Haus, and Mac’s Tavern.  That list sits at 39.
-The ex-Bierstube in Davenport remains closed for remodeling, and will reopen soon under another name, suspected to be Bootlegger’s.  After initially closing the week after New Year’s, it reopened for 3 days to sell off remaining Bierstube food and beverages.  Whatever name it will go by, I’m really hoping they keep Tori and Amy there.
-Rumor is that Bent River will be opening a second location with banquet facilities in Rock Island, and the corner of 4th Ave. and 24th St. was mentioned.
Above, I mentioned we spent a little time in Las Vegas.  It was work, but I still managed to hit a couple of my favorite places on the strip, as well as getting off the strip a couple times (including for Super Bowl) to visit our friend Keith at a pretty cool sports bar, MVP’s.  In the last 15 years that we’ve been visiting Vegas, we’ve seen a lot of changes, but here’s five of my favorite places remaining on the strip:
Nine Fine Irishmen, New York New York:  Something the Quad Cities could use, a great Irish pub, with actual Irish bands (hanging up a few shamrocks and cute little limericks doesn’t make you an Irish pub).
Cleopatra’s Barge, Caesar’s Palace:  A scene in Rain Man was filmed here.  Good bands and a floating dance floor.
Carnival Court, Harrah’s:  Harrah’s has their own flare bartender school, and some of the best work here.  We’ve seen a couple of them on the Food Network flare competition.
Dolphin Bar, Mirage:  My favorite pool bar in Vegas
Harrah’s Piano Bar
I’m still working on adding addresses to the Roster, the list of all currently open QCA bars.  None closed, but Joe’s Club reopened 5 week ago, so the list is at 291.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6/22/2012 Update - 7 more!

9/27/2014 Update: Buffett Song Bar Trivia

1/5/2012 Update – Jinx?